Sunday, June 6, 2010

Potty Training

OK, I know what you're thinking when you read the title: Why is she talking about potty training when N is little?? Is she nuts?? To answer your question, possibly. But, it's not entirely what you think. Let me explain.

Hubby, N and I are going to Europe next August (2011) for World Youth Day, a Catholic Young Adult Pilgrimage, if you will, that Pope John Paul II started in the '80's and Pope Benedict XVI continues to celebrate. Every year, it's held in the Vatican except every third year when it's held somewhere else. We went to WYD Sydney for our honeymoon two years ago and are very much looking forward to WYD Madrid. Because we're planing a good two week excursion in EspaƱa, I really (really) don't want to pack diapers. So, my thought is, since N will be two years and four months old then, we'd potty train her prior to the trip. Well, I've been looking online recently about what's the "normal" age to start potty training and found some surprising stuff. Most of the websites I looked at say there's no age to start, but rather the child must be aware s/he is aware of his/her body's way to go to the bathroom (to put it nicely), basically. I went on to look at some mom forums and a lot of the moms were starting their kids with potty training at N's age right now or even earlier (she's 14 months yesterday, if you're not sure)! I read on to find out that they were doing this three-part training session:

Step 1: is for them to understand that they did something (need a change of diaper).
Step 2: is for them to be able to tell you in some way and understand that they are doing something when they do it.
Step 3: is for them to tell you before they need to in order to be able to go to the toilet.

The whole process, they say, takes about 10-15 months to complete. I kinda like the idea, since there's no pressure because it's such a long process, and now I know so I won't be fretting later on when time is running out.

So, am I really starting potty training? Not really, but it's good to keep it in mind when changing her diaper. Do I want to start potty training? Yes, please. I hate changing diapers.

So, let me turn it around to you: When did you start/will start potty training? I'd love to hear from you!

2 comments:

  1. I have no idea why the 3 steps are bigger than the rest of the text....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey - I also have a book on Elimination Communication, which is basically "Parent training" so that you'll pay attention to her cues so that YOU will know when she needs to go. Then you "cue" her --- most parents use a sound to get their child to go potty. It's really interesting! (And babies much littler than Nora are doing it!)
    Let me know if you want to read it!

    ReplyDelete