Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Nora

So, I realized in my last post (after I published it, of course) that I gave away my daughter's name in the last picture. I, for some reason, wanted to keep it private, but since that's been defenestrated, I think I'll talk a little bit about...Nora. :)

Here she is at almost 15 months (next week). Ain't she a doll?


She has her mother's hard head and her father's creativity. This equals a very energetic, crazy, go-go-go little girl. My hubby and I are really hoping that somewhere deep down in our gene patterns there are some mellow genes that will all miraculously be given to our next one, because if we get another Nora, we can say goodbye to boring for the next 20 years or so. Oh, but she makes me laugh so many times a day, and I find her smile/bellylaugh/kisses/grunts/tumbles/babbles/toddle/curiosity to be so intoxicating. She's perfect.

So Nora. When I was pregnant with her, neither of us liked our choice of names for babies. So, we compromised and decided that if it was a girl, I would name her and if it was a boy, he would name him (the funny thing is we've since agreed on random names very easily that we both came up with. Go figure). Well, needless to say, I got to name her. I love the name Nora--I actually really love the character from an old black and white movie collection called "The Thin Man" in which the main female character's name is Nora Charles. Nick and Nora Charles remind me of hubby and I in many ways. I might as well throw my husband's name out there, since it seems to be the theme lately. His name is Darrenn. How he has two N's to his name is a whole other story. I just love this series. But, I did not just name my kid solely on a fictional movie character. The name Nora is a pet form of Honorah (pronounced AHN-ora) which comes from the Latin word for honor. I also found out that it's a variant of Honorius.

Well, being the anal person that I am, the first and middle names of my firstborn were going to make sense when translated. So, another name I like is Corinne, which happens to be the name of a few women in my father's family (my aunt's middle name, my cousin's middle name, and my great-aunt's name). By chance, I found out that it is French for maiden. So, my daughter is Nora Corinne, an honorable maiden. I found two names that go great together and have some great connections to my religion, my English blood, the family that is my maiden name, and the language that I'm studying in college (ahem, French). Win!

So that's Nora.

No comments:

Post a Comment