Saturday, July 10, 2010

Visiting the Wild and New Sewing Projects

Well my last post (which is still to be continued...) had too many people upset, so on to more happy things!

If you live in my town, there's a neat website called Groupon where they dish out daily coupons to attractions around town (actually, to around many towns besides mine!).  Recently they had a coupon for half off a year membership to the city's zoo.  Darrenn and I decided to jump on it.  Today we got to use it in action!

I can't remember the last time I went to that zoo.  Oh wait, yes I can: I think it was about 10 or 11 years ago.  Haha!  I remember it being hot, crowded, and stressful (thanks to my grandma trying to keep track of my brother and I in the huge crowd).  I also remember it being fun, but not remembering anything I saw.  Well it was super fun today!  It's a very open zoo; and by that I mean peacocks roam the grounds, you can walk right up to a giraffe with only a small fence between you, and ravens fly about everywhere (like the one that almost skimmed Nora).  They separate the animals by continents: Asia, Africa, and South America.  Even though we went on a very humid day (the monsoon weather is indecisive and cannot make up its mind as to whether or not to rain so it's just been downright New England-style humid), there's plenty of shade so it's not too unbearable.

We saw the whole zoo in a little over an hour.  I highly recommend going with your little one(s) if you live in town.  I think it's really worth your time and money.  And if you're a little nervous about how close your little ones can get to the animals, don't worry:  they only let the people-friendly ones near people.  The more "dangerous" ones are never going to get near you or your loved ones.

Besides that, I bought some blackout fabric from Joann's today to adhere to Nora's roman shade hanging in her nursery.  The shade is way too thin (and white) so any glimmer of light can show through which makes nap time non-existent in that room.  In desperation, I've pinned together two fleece blankets of hers and hung that up to block out a lot of the sun, but it looks so tacky and falls apart frequently.  I love the roman shade, though, so I wanted to just tweak it a little to be a blackout roman shade.  After much advice from a couple of sweet grandmas who work at JoAnn's, I bought the fabric and some spray adhesive to bond it to the shade fabric.  I ripped out the seems where the dowels go so I could lay the fabric flat on the floor, sprayed it with the adhesive and put the two pieces together.  Before I take the time and effort to sew it back together, I want to test it tonight to see how much sun it blocks out.  I think it'll work, but I just wanted to make sure.  Once I am satisfied with it's job of keeping the sun out, I'll finish that project up in no time.

So, that's all for now.  Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment